Makes 6 rolls.
- 8oz strong white flour
- 1oz fat
- 0.5tsp salt
- 0.75oz fresh live baker’s yeast
- 50mg vitamin C tablet
- 1tsp sugar
- 0.25pts lukewarm water
- deep 7in cake tin
- Rub the fat into the flour.
- Add the sugar to the yeast and cream to a thick liquid consistency.
- Powder the vitamin C tablet and mix into the fat and flour mixture well.
- Add half the water to the yeast basin, mix well and pour into a well
in the middle of the flour mixture.
- Mix gently until all the dry flour mixture combines into an elastic, damp dough with all the liquid used.
- Knead by pulling the mixture from the edges into the centre going around the mixture until a smooth puff is reached. (Couple of
- Cut this puff into 6 pieces of equal size. Knead these again into mini-puffs.
- Place these balls in a deep 7in cake tin, with one in the middle and 5 around the edges. Flatten gently so the balls just touch, prick
with a fork, cover and leave near heat to rise.
- When the mixture has doubled in size, cook for 15mins at 220°C, then turn the head down to 180°C and cook for a further 15mins.