Put this one up at a totally unseasonal time of year, but never
If you’re feeling lazy, buy your mincemeat rather than making it.
Makes ? (I forget – quite a lot!)
- 2oz currants
- 2oz raisins
- 2oz mixed peel
- 2oz suet
- 2oz apple
- 2oz soft brown sugar
- Half lemon (juice & rind)
- 0.5tsp of nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger, mixed spice
- 2tbsp brandy
- 8oz plain flour
- 2oz marge
- 2oz lard
- 2/3tbsp water
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Circular cutters (wine glasses in different sizes are a good alternative)
- Bun tin
- Peel, core and grate apple.
- Wash and grate lemon rind. Squeeze juice.
- Chop dried fruit and place in a bowl with sugar, suet and lemon rind.
- Add spices, brandy and juice. Stir well.
- Pack into a clean dry jar. Cover and label.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub the fat in until breadcrumb-like.
- Add the water and mix to form a dough, which should feel damp.
- Roll out half the mix to 3mm thick and cut out circle bases. Place in bun tin.
- Place a tsp of mincemeat in each pie.
- Roll out the rest of the mix and cut out smaller lids for pies.
- Place lids on top and prick.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 200°C.
- Dust with icing sugar & serve.