This is a delicious, soft sponge, best eaten fresh while the
icing on the top is crusty.
- 2 large eggs
- 6oz sugar
- 5oz butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 4floz milk
- 5oz icing sugar
- 2floz lemon juice (2/3 lemons worth)
- 9in by 5in loaf tin
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cream the sugar into the butter.
- Beat in the egg and the lemon zest.
- Fold in the milk and flour.
- Bake for 45mins, or until golden brown, and firm to touch.
- Heat the lemon juice and icing sugar in a small saucepan for a few
minutes – do not allow to boil.
- Pour the syrup over the cooked cake until totally absorbed.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.